Passed January 19, 1988
IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
To regulate commercial bicycle operators in the District of Columbia.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
That this act may be cited as the "Commercial Bicycle OperatorsTraining and Licensing Act of 1987".
Sec. 2. Definitions.
For purposes of this act, the term:
(1) "Commercial bicycle operator" means an individual whoreceives financial compensation for the delivery or pick-up of goods orservices by bicycle.
(2) "Courier. company" means any firm, partnership, company,corporation, or organization operating within the District of Columbiathat receives financial compensation for the delivery or pick-up of goodsor services.
(3) "Mayor" means the Mayor of the District of Columbia.
Sec. 3 Licensing; training program; rules.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (f) of this section, no commercialbicycle operator shall operate within the District of Columbia withouta license issued by the Mayor.
(b) Each commercial bicycle operator licensed under this section shall:
- (1) Pass a bicycle safety test developed by the Mayor in order toreceive a commercial bicycle operator's license;
- (2) Pay a license fee not to exceed $50 per year;
- (3) Carry photo identification listing the operator's name, the operator'sidentification number issued by the mayor, the name address and telephonenumber of the courier company, if employed by or under contract to a couriercompany, the operator's telephone number and address;
- (4) Display, in a fashion visible from the rear, the operator identificationnumber issued by the Mayor and if employed by or contracting with a couriercompany, the name and telephone number of the courier company, the nameand telephone number of the courier company, or if not employed by or undercontract to a courier company, the operator's telephone number and address;and
- (5) If employed by or under contract to a courier company, completea training program developed in accordance with subsection (d) of thissection and approved by the Mayor.
(c) The commercial bicycle license shall not be renewed or shall besuspended or revoked upon the accumulation of serious bicycle traffic lawviolations as determined by rules promulgated by the Mayor.
(d) Within 180 days of the effective date of this act, each couriercompany shall submit to the Mayor a proposed training program for its commercialbicycle operators. Upon approval by the Mayor, the training program shallbe administered by the courier company to its commercial bicycle operators.
(e) The Mayor shall:
- (1) Issue a separate identification number to each commercial bicycleoperator licensed under this act;
- (2) Issue rules to implement the provisions of this act pursuant totitle I of the District of Columbia Administrative Procedure Act, approvedOctober 21, 1968 (82 Stat. 1204; D.C. Code, sec. 1-1501 et seq.), within120 days of the effective date of this act; and
- (3) Develop a public education program to inform the public on therequirements of this act.
(f) Commercial bicycle operators operating in the District of Columbiaas of the effective date of this act shall be licensed by the Mayor within180 days of the effective date of this act.
Sec. 4 This act shall take effect after a 30-day period of Congressionalreview following approval by the Mayor (or in the event of veto by theMayor, action by the Council of the District of Columbia to override theveto) as provided in section 602(c)(1) of the District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, approved December 24, 19973(87 Stat. 813; D.C. Code, sec. 1-233 (c)(1)).
back to lawsand reports
If you have comments or suggestions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org